Monday, January 12, 2009

Griz Cat game 2008


This photo was taken during the 2008 Griz-Cat game in Missoula Mont. It was one of the greatest feelings being back on the sidelines of a Griz game and seeing all the other photographers there. The game was intense, like always. Being on the sideline of any sports game is intoxicating for me - the ultimate high. The best way to explain it would be to say it is my extreme job that you can never get enough of.


In the photo Griz wide receiver Marc Mariani, left, makes the catch for a touchdown. This is a great example of what I am talking about. You watch the play unfold in front of you and hope you have the right position and angle. You shoot and pray you got the shot and then review the photo. After you see the photo you either are excited or wait for the next play. In this case, I noticed Mariani line up and I knew where the play was going. I followed him down the sideline and shot. This is the photo from that play.


I find it very annoying that it seems that most photographers think that sports photographers just go out and shoot hundreds of shots and hope. While there is hope there is also knowledge of the game, the team, the players, and the coaches. You learn about the team and their habits and you end up with more impact in a photo. You DO NOT go out and Rambo shoot.


In the end it was great being back in Missoula and shooting a Griz game. I hope I am able to do this ever year. I guess since this is where I got my first true assignment, Griz stadium will always have a place in my heart. Only thing to say now is “GO GRIZ” and I hope to be there next season!

No comments: